- May 19, 2018
- Posted by: Dr. Lateef Basaru
- Category: Health tips
Garlic is one of the most common ingredients in Cuban dishes but apart from imparting flavour to food, this tiny, white pod also has immense medicinal properties. Used since time immemorial to treat various ailments, garlic is one ingredient in your kitchen that has a number of uses.
Here are the top 15 health benefits of garlic you should know about:
- It has a variety of potent sulphur-containing compounds which are the reason for its characteristic pungent odour.
- Allicin, the vital compound in the pod, is known to have great anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-oxidant properties. That is why garlic is best had when it’s finely chopped, minced or pureed and let sit for some time.
- Garlic is also a reliable source of selenium.
- Allicin, along with other compounds like ajoene, alliin, etc. also have a healing effect on your circulatory, digestive and immunological systems and help in lowering blood pressure, detoxification, healing, etc.
- Helps keep bacterial and viral infections at bay
- Due to its innate compounds, garlic can help keep both bacterial and viral infections at bay.