- October 15, 2018
- Posted by: Dr. Nnamdi Elenwoke
- Category: Health tips
Another name for high blood pressure is hypertension. High Blood Pressure is a serious health problem. Which can result to serous health conditions. Such as heart attacks, stroke and kidney failure. High blood pressure of 140/90 mmHg or more is high. Common causes or factors contributing to hypertension include obesity and genetic factors. Others are:
- Excessive alcohol consumption,
- High salt intake,
- Lack of aerobic exercise,
- Birth control pills,
- Pain medications,
- Kidney disease,
- Disease of the adrenal glands etc.
Medications are often prescribed for hypertension. You can also control it with simple natural remedies.
Top 10 home remedies for high blood pressure
- Lemons: Lemons help to keep the blood vessels flexible and pliable. Removing any form of rigidity, the high blood pressure will decrease. Also, you can reduce the risk of heart failure by consuming lemon juice due to vitamin C content. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps neutralize the harmful effects of free radicals. Drink a cup of hot water with the juice from half a lemon added to it every morning on an empty stomach. For best results, do not add salt or sugar.
- Raw almonds: Raw almonds – When almond is in a healthy diet, it can help reduce blood pressure levels. In fact, almonds are part of the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension — DASH — Diet. In the diet, almonds are in the “nuts, seeds and legumes” group. The diet recommends four to five portions of this group of foods a week. As for almonds, almond serving is only one third of a cup. Healthy, monounsaturated fat in almonds helps lower blood cholesterol levels. And reduces arterial inflammation, helping to reduce pressure inside the arteries.
- Garlic: Garlic becomes popular due to its use in lowering high blood pressure. This plant also has blood thinning properties. Making it ideal for improving heart health. Garlic is also a natural diuretic, i.e.it releases excess sodium and water from the body and into the urine. This effect suppresses the pressure of overworked heart and reduces blood pressure.
If the taste of garlic is too much for you, there is an odorless alternative. Which is a popular garlic supplements and it is available in markets and stores. In case you find it difficult to eat the whole clove raw, hold a slice of garlic in your mouth. And try to suck the juice in 15 minutes. You can also mince 1-2 garlic cloves, mix them in a glass of water and drink them. Another way is to cut chopped pieces, put them on the fruit and cover them with honey.
- Carrots: carrots contain high levels of beta-carotene which is an antioxidant. And it also contains vitamin A and vitamin C. Antioxidants reduces the amount of carcinogenic free radicals in the body. Antioxidants also protect against vascular damage and cell death.
Carrots are also rich in electrolyte, potassium. Potassium is excellent for maintaining fluid in the body balanced and normalizing blood pressure. Potassium neutralizes the effects of sodium. Consumed in large quantities, sodium can have a negative effect on blood pressure.
All you have to do is drink 1-3 cups of carrot juice on a daily basis and try to ensure that you buy organic and do not add sugar.
- Eat the Mediterranean Diet: Thanks to foods such as olives and flax seeds. Mediterranean diets are rich in fruit, vegetables, seafood. And high in healthy omega-3 fat oils. A grain-free or a low-grain Mediterranean diet is abundant with omega-3 foods. It is great and effective.
Olive oil, flax seed and wild-caught fish (especially salmon) are all the foods you need in your Mediterranean diet. This includes and lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Begin to take fish oil supplement (1000-2000 mg daily): One of the major causes of high blood pressure is inflammation in the arteries with time. Studies has shown that eating fish oil rich in omega-3 EPA and DHA reduces inflammation in the body. So, getting high quality, 1000 milligrams of fish oil a day with its meals is one of the best natural ways of lowering blood pressure.
- Watermelon Seed: The watermelon seed contains a compound called cucurbocitrin. This compound helps to expand blood capillaries. At the same time, it also helps to improve the functioning of the kidneys. This in turn reduces the blood pressure level and also helps a lot with arthritis. Watermelon can help lower blood pressure. According to a pilot study conducted in Florida in 2010. This is because of its vasodilation effect.
Grind equal amounts of dried watermelon seeds together with poppy seeds (khus khus). Take the teaspoon of this mixture in the morning on an empty stomach and take again in the evening.You can add two teaspoons of crushed, dried and watermelon seeds into a cup of boiled water. This is an alternative. Take about an hour, then squeeze. Take four tablespoons of this water at regular intervals during the day.
- Banana: Bananas are beneficial and important fruits. That people living with high blood pressure can eat to control it. Bananas are a good source and contains high amount of potassium. This helps to reduce the effect of sodium, so try to eat one or two bananas a day. With banana, try dry apricots, raisins, currants or orange juice. Also spinach, zucchini, sweet potatoes roasted, melon, and winter squash.
Cocoa Cacao: Flavanols is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Which helps to protect the heart and it is also a protein found raw cocoa. It can protect against heart disease and reduce the risk of stroke. It also enhances blood circulation. Thus Lowering blood pressure. Cocoa contains more than 700 compounds. The antioxidant complexes found there as polyphenols. Helping reduce “bad” cholesterol and prevent hardening in the arteries.
- Tomato: generally speaking, tomatoes contain many essential compounds. Such as beta-carotene, vitamin E, potassium and antioxidants. All which are very effective in lowering blood pressure. Tomatoes also contain lycopene, a chemical that gives it a rich red color. Lycopene has antioxidant effects that reduce bad cholesterol (LDL). Preventing accumulation of fat deposits in arteries (atherosclerosis). This accumulation can lead to cardiovascular disease.
Take a cup of fresh tomato, tomato sauce or mixed tomato juice every day. If you do not like the taste of tomatoes, try taking lycopene supplements. Avoid commercial tomato sauce, which contains a high sodium level.