Runny nose is a condition where the nasal cavity is filled with mucus. Doctors call it Rhinorrhea or Rhinorrhoea.
Do you have runny nose? Yes that watery liquid coming from your nose once in a while. I can be embarrassing at public places or even a meeting. Toilet roll is your good friend. In the morning you wake up with a stuffy nose and frequent sneezing. At times you can even have a nice sleep at night. You don’t let your partner sleep well because of your that noise from your nose at night.
1829, medical Latin, from rhino- “nose” + -itis “inflammation.”
You have gone to doctors and tell you that it is because of Rhinitis. You learn that you are hypersensitive to dust particles etc. Even changes in weather can affect you. They give you drugs and recommendations but nothing seems to work. Know this: you are not alone. There are millions out there looking for an effective treatment.
Types of Rhinitis
Allergic rhinitis is the most common cause of rhinitis. Caused by environmental allergies.
1. Know that you are not alone. Rhinitis can be managed without difficulty.This is very important.
2. Find and avoid what triggers.
3. Nasal irrigation: rinsing of the nostrils with a salt water — saline — solution one or more times a day. NB: Can be uncomfortable.
4. Nasal glucocorticoids: This is very good. Use it (one or 2 puffs) twice a day until symptoms decrease then you can reduce dose. Acts longer than #5.
5. Nasal antihistamines: This is also good especially for quicker relieve of symptoms. Like Nasal glucocorticoids, it can be used every 12 hours. There are combinations of 4 & 5 in the Pharmacy.
You can use Nasal glucocorticoids in the morning and at night. Then Nasal antihistamines in the afternoon. Then decrease the dose as you notice improvement.
Nasal ipratropium and Decongestants. I don’t recommend the later. This is because although it decreases symptoms (blocked nose) fast, it can cause them to come back and worse still.
In very few and selected cases, surgery is necessary.
Remember to consult a doctor if you have any questions. Start treatment today to notice big changes in a week. This includes sleeping better at night. And saying goodbye to all those annoying sneezing and watery nose. If this works, don’t forget to help others.