- April 10, 2021
- Posted by: Malka Breidenstein
- Category: Health, Health tips
As a parent currently raising a child or as on who is about to be, every decision you take affects and moulds your child’s life in a healthy way far into the future. All your decisions, including their diet, mental well-being, discipline, shape your child into a better and healthy adult. Therefore, your decisions for your child must be correctly oriented. You must shape your child’s health decisions in alignment with your best pediatrician and give the best to your child.
In this regard, 11 tips on properly taking care of your child’s health care:
1. The vitamin alphabets. When young, it is necessary to provide foods for your child packed with essential vitamins and minerals. Vitamin A, BC, D, E and K are important vitamins that the body needs for proper growth. Instead of giving a multivitamin, you should pack meals that are vitamin-rich for your child. You can ensure that they eat foods with sufficient vitamins every day.
2. Natural foods. From an early age, you should avoid making or buying junk food and instead feed with options that involve natural foods such as
– Fresh vegetables and fruits
– Lean meat
– Foods rich in fibre and minerals
– Milk and milk products
Processed foods contain an unhealthy and excess amount of sugar, sodium, fat, and other artificial enhancers and sweeteners that can ruin your child’s health. By substituting processed foods, you ensure the proper meals plan, lifestyle, and weight of your child aside from developing unhealthy eating habits.
3. Discourage overeating. Overeating at an advanced age can be dealt with and corrected during childhood. You must not force your children to finish or ‘clean the plate’ but instead, allow your children to eat only as much as they would like. Overeating at a younger age can progress into weight gain and obesity at a very young age resulting in many diseases. It would be best if you observed when your child does not want to eat anymore. This is not usually when they do not want to eat their vegetables or meals but instead as a cue from their body telling them to stop overloading the stomach.
4. Healthy smile. It would be best if you encouraged good dental and oral hygiene in your child, and this concept is beyond avoiding cavities in your teeth. One of the most common diseases in children is tooth decay, resulting in speech impairment and learning when left untreated for long. Fluoride is an element in toothpaste that can help prevent tooth decay. Therefore, you must purchase toothpaste that has fluoride as an active ingredient. You could also have your children get a fluoride treatment semiannually.
5. Protecting their skin. While summers can be one of the joyous periods in the year for fun, the summer sun holds an extremely high level of Ultraviolet light (UV) that can damage the skin and cause skin cancer later in life. You could avoid direct exposure to sunlight for babies under six months of age. For kids older than six months and in cases wherein it is difficult to avoid the sun, you can apply sunscreens on your children before they venture out into the sun. The sun protection factor should be at least over thirty for the products that you are using. Also, you should reapply after every two hours if you observe your child sweating excessively or in the water.
6. Avoid the couch. Your child must be involved in physical activity. Physical activity builds them not only physically but also socially and mentally. It improves their health and lifestyle to great extents. Over the years, with the advancement in technology, childhood overweight and obesity (CDC) has reported childhood obesity seeing a rising trend. While childhood obesity has doubled in numbers, adolescent obesity has increased four times in the past thirty years or more. You could encourage individual or team sports for your kids and motivate your child to spend less time with gadgets and devices and more time outdoors daily. Helping your child see and make these choices would impact them later as well.
7. Immunizations. Vaccinations and immunizations protect your child against many severe diseases. Many diseases such as tetanus, diphtheria and measles can be avoided by regular and timely vaccinations. These diseases are serious and can be life-threatening. You must therefore consult your pediatrician, get information, read and follow the time chart or regular vaccinations and boosters.
8. Using medications as needed. Often, we can get into the habit of administering drugs to our children without consulting the doctor. Administration of medications without the prescription of the best child specialist can probably lead to repercussions later in life. Each drug comes with its own set of side effects and complications. It is, therefore, always best to take the advice of your paediatrician regarding any problems or health issue faced by your child and then administer the dosage as prescribed by the doctor.
9. Hygiene. As kids grow up, it is necessary to teach proper self-hygiene. You can begin by teaching and practising self-hygiene centres around good grooming and would help them protect themselves and others from various diseases and illnesses.
10. Keeping the Immune system healthy. Aside from vaccinations and immunizations, the immune system, too, must stay healthy. Keeping a healthy immune system involves not just eating well but also ensuring that your child gets enough sleep, is not stressed, exercises enough laughs, bonds with you as a parent and friend, and washes hands frequently to avoid contracting infections.
11. Anxiety and stress. As a parent, you must lookout for any undue social pressures and stress that can negatively impact the child’s mental health. You must learn to spot such symptoms of stress and anxiety and help your kid manage them well, and avoid factors that elevate the stress levels.
Growing a kid involves various aspects that help maintain their physical and mental fitness now and fit during the later years of their life. Therefore, it is essential to inculcate essential habits and routines that can shape the health of the child and keep diseases and mental issues at bay. You must ask your best child doctor at the best pediatric hospital regarding good parenting tips on keeping your child’s health. You could also visit the website of the hospital and refer to the doctor.