Cardiology is a specialty of Medicine that deals with diagnosis and treatment of diseases and problems related with the heart and blood vessels – the Cardiovascular system. A medical doctor that specializes in Cardiology is called a Cardiologist.
The Cardiovascular system is complex and Cardiologists evaluate medical history and signs/symptoms of their patients. They may also recommend tests for a better diagnosis. Heart and related diseases can be managed using pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments. If surgery is needed, the Cardiologist will refer you to a Cardiovascular surgeon.
Cardiology is a broad field of Internal Medicine and some of the diseases managed include:
- Coronary Artery Disease: hardening of arteries that supply nutrients and oxygen to the heart
- Heart failure: when the heart is not working well
- Abnormal Heart Rhythms: when the heart beats out of range or irregularly/abnormally
- Heart Valve Disease: problems with one or more of the four exit valves of the heart.
- Congenital Heart Disease: heart problems related to newborn babies. Sometimes symptoms appear later in adulthood.
- Cardiomyopathies: diseases of the heart muscle.
- Pericarditis: inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart.
Here in Docotal-Cardiology we are available to help you with up-to-date information related to the corresponding diseases of the heart. Your happiness and wellbeing is our principal concern.